WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, September 28, 2012

HOMEMADE TOMATO SOUP

1 tbsp olive or canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
9 medium-sized ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh marjoram
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp whole fennel seeds
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup uncooked orzo
1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, for garnish

In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil.  Add the onion and garlic; cook until onion is tender.  Add the tomatoes, broth, basil, morjoram, oregano, fennel, and pepper.  Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat.  Cook soup on simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.  Remove pan from the heat and allow to cool slightly.

Puree soup mixture in a blender or food processor in batches until all is pureed; return to the saucepan and bring to a boil.

When soup begins to boil, add the orzo and cook about 7 minutes or until tender.


To serve, transfer soup to serving bowls and sprinkle the cheese on top.