WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

ARTICHOKE HUMMUS

Eat this dip without guilt, artichokes and chickpeas are both healthy ingredients as are the rest of the ingredients.  And a quarter cup of this dip has only 88 cal, 3 g pro, 9 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 4.5 g fat (.5 sat), 172 mg sodium.  Serve it with pita chips, whole-grain crackers or beanitos.

1 can (14-oz) artichoke hearts, rinsed & drained
1 can (15-oz) chickpeas (garbanzo beans) rinsed & drained
2 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1 cup chopped fresh basil

Place all the ingredients, except basil,  in a food processor and pulse until smooth.  Remove from processor and stir in the fresh basil.
Yield: 2 cups dip