WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, July 21, 2012

VEGETABLE AND RICE WRAPS

I love this sandwich alternative of a Vegetable and Rice Wrap. The beans in this recipe replace the protein you would get in meat. Make it even tastier with one of the flavored wraps available on the market today instead of the tortillas. It is diabetic friendly, using brown rice instead of white rice. The mushrooms also add protein.

1 small to medium bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp canola oil
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 can (approx 1 lb. size) chickpeas or kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 cup frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed
1/3 cup chopped green onions
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt, optional
6 8-inch whole-wheat tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
3/4 cup mild salsa

In a large nonstick skillet heat the canola oil. Add the bell pepper, sliced mushrooms, and garlic; saute until the veggies are tender. Add the cooked rice, chickpeas OR kidney beans, corn, green onions, cumin, pepper, and salt (if using). Cook, while stirring, for around 5 minutes or until heated through. Divide the mixture evenly among the six tortillas. Sprinkle with the cheese and drizzle with salsa. Fold one end over then fold the sides of the tortilla over to make a wrap. Best if served immediately.