WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

"THE BEST" CHEWY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

NOTE: I want to state upfront that I have not made these cookies yet.  I found this recipe from DiabetiSweet which is a product I have not tried.

8 ounces butter
1 cup DiabetiSweet Original
1 cup DiabetiSweet Brown
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups flour
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 pkg. (12-oz) semisweet chocolate chips
4 ounce bar milk chocolate, grated
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, optional

Preparation:  In a large bow, cream together the butter and both types of DiabetiSweet by mixing fully.  Add eggs and vanilla, beating well.  In a separate bowl, mix together flour, oats, salt, baking powder and baking soda.  Place small amounts of dry mixture into blender and process until mixture turns into powder.  Mix the cream mixture with the flour and oat mixture until blended.  Add chocolate chips, grated milk chocolate and chopped pecans.  Shape dough into balls about 1 1/2-inches in diameter, and place two inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees for 10 - 12 minutes.  Makes 3 to 4 dozen chocolate chip cookies.