WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, July 6, 2012

BROWN RICE WITH BEANS

This recipe is diabetic-friendly thanks to brown rice, chicken broth, and the beans.

1 tbsp canola oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 can (10.5-oz) condensed chicken broth
3/4 cup water
1 cup uncooked brown rice (do not use instant rice)
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 can (16-oz) Great Northern Beans
4 tomatoes, seeded, chopped, drained (plum tomatoes work best in this recipe but any will work)

Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat; add onion and cook until tender.  Add chicken broth (may use vegetabe or beef, if desired), water, rice, cumin, and pepper; mix well.  Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low.

Cover skillet and simmer mixture for half hour or until liquid is absorbed.

Remove cover and gently stir in the beans and tomatoes.  Cook mixture for 5 minutes to heat through.