WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, July 28, 2012

BISTRO SPINACH CHICKEN

5 medium-size red potatoes
2 medium-size yellow bell peppers
3 cloves garlic
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lb chicken strips
5 tbsp canola oil, divided
1 lb fresh mushrooms
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
3 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/2 to 3/4 pkg (10-oz) fresh spinach

Scrub and quarter potatoes; place in saucepan and cover with water.  Bring potatoes to a boil and cook about 10 minutes or so until tender; drain in a colander.

Cut the bell peppers into strips; cut garlic cloves in half.

In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons of the canola oil.  Add the pepper strips and cook until lightly browned and tender; remove peppers from the skillet.  Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet and add the mushrooms; cook until lightly browned and liquid evaporates.  Remove the mushrooms from the skillet.  Add last two tablespoons of oil and the chicken, garlic and salt.  Cook over medium-high heat until the chicken is browned on all sides. Place a lid on skillet, reduce the heat and cook until the chicken is tender and cooked through.

In a small bowl combine the Splenda, vinegar, and soy sauce; set aside.

When the chicken is cooked through, return to the higher heat.  Stir in the potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, and the vinegar mixture.  Add spinach, a little at a time, and cook until the spinach leaves wilt.

Yield: 4 servings

NOTE: I have not made this recipe and don't plan to.  It was given to me to post and since so many of you love chicken, I wanted to share it with you.  I do not touch chicken and I am the only diabetic in my family so there is no reason why I would make it.  My husband loves chicken but not spinach so it is a no-go at our house.  Just letting you know if you have questions about this recipe or want a picture, I can't help you out here.