WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

GRANNY SMITH BAKED BEANS

4 tbsp salt-free butter
2 large Granny Smith apples, cored and cubed (do not peel)
1/4 cup (not packed) Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
3 tbsp Splenda Granulated
1/2 cup ketchup
1 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 can (24-oz) great northern beans (do not drain)
1 can (24-oz) pinto beans (do not drain)
1 bay leaf, optional

Melt butter in a large skillet; add apples and cook until tender.  Stir in the Splenda products and cook until melted.  Add the ketchup and cinnamon.  Add the two types of beansand the bay leaf-if using, mixing well.  Pour the mixture into a slow cooker or crockpot. 

Place lid on cooker and cook on high 2 to 4 hours.