WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

STUFFED PEPPERS GREEK-STYLE

4 medium green bell peppers
1 1/2 cups water, divided
3/4 cup cooked quick-cooking brown rice
1 oz toasted pine nuts
3 oz crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
12 pitted kalamata olives, chopped
1/2 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil

Slice tops off the peppers, remove and discard seeds and stems.  Place peppers, standing upright, in a glass deep-dish pie plate.  Pour 1/4 cup of the water around the peppers, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on high 9 to 10 minutes or until tender.

Meanwhile, bring the remaining water to a boil in a medium saucepan, with a tight-fitting lid, over high heat.  Add the rice, place lid on pan, reduce heat to simmer and cook 10 to 12 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is tender.

Using tongs, remove the peppers from the pie plate and discard the water; replace peppers in dish.  Remove the rice from the heat and gently stir in the pine nuts, cheese, olives, tomatoes, and basil.  Place 2/3 cup of the rice mixture into each of the 4 peppers.

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 257 calories, 10 g (2 g sat) fat, 10 g protein, 35 g carbs, 403 mg sodium
Diabetic exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 starch, 2 fat