WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, March 5, 2012

CHINESE-STYLE ASPARAGUS

1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp peanut oil
1 tbsp water
1 tbsp tahini (pureed sesame seeds)
1 tsp chopped fresh ginger
1/2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp Splenda Granulated
1 pinch red pepper flakes
48 medium asparagus spears, trimmed, peeled

In food processor or blend, combine the soy sauce, vinegar, oil, water, tahini, ginger, garlic, Splenda, and pepper flakes; mix until thoroughly blended to make a sauce.

Fill a large skillet halfway full of water, cover and bring to a boil.  Add the asparagus and simmer just until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes.  Drain well.  Do not rinse.

Transfer the drained asparagus to serving plater or shallow bowl and pour the sauce over the hot asparagus and toss to coat.

Yield: Serves 6