WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

TOMATO MELTS ON ENGLISH MUFFINS

2 English muffins, split
1 tsp butter, softened
4 (1/4-inch thick) tomato slices
2 dashes of Italian seasoning
2 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese

Preheat broiler.

Toast the two muffin bottoms lightly and place on a foil-lined baking sheet; spread butter over the muffins.  Arrange two tomato slices atop each of the buttered muffins; sprinkle with the Italian seasoning.  Fold the cheese so that it fits on top of the tomatoes.  Place in oven and broil for 2 minutes about 5-inches from the heat.  Cheese should be melted and starting to brown.

While muffins are in the oven, toast the two muffin tops.  When tomato/cheese muffins come out of the oven, top with the just toasted tops.

Yield: 2 servings
Per serving: 212 calories, 7 g (3 g saturated) fat, 10 g protein, 28 g carbs, 19 mg cholesterol, 412 mg sodium, and 2 g dietary fiber    Note: This is a good protein/carb combo.  Also, I recommend the whole-grain English muffins, however, these nutritional facts are based on the regular muffins.