WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

SPINACH/BEAN BAKE

Remember to include beans in your diet as often as possible, at least 3 to 4 times a week!

1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 chili pepper, seeded and chopped fine*
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1 tbsp ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
1 pkg (10.5-oz) frozen leaf spinach, thawed, squeezed, chopped
2 tbsp golden raisins
1 can pinto beans
1 can navy or great northern beans
1/2 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
1/4 cup vegetable broth or stock

*Or use 1/4 to 1/3 tsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Lightly oil a 1 1/2 to 2 quart baking dish; set aside.

Heat olive oil in a 2-quart saucepan, add the onion and cook until translucent (about 6 to 8 minutes). Remove from the heat.  Add the garlic, chili pepper, paprika, detchup, salt, spinach, raisins, beans, and cheese.  Mix well.  Add the vegetable stock to moisten.

Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes or until heated through.

          

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving this recipe has 302 calories and a ration of 17 grams of protein to 41 grams of carbs (remember these are healthy carbs from the beans, spinach, etc), a good ratio for diabetics as it is over the 30% rule.  Each serving also has total sugars of 10 g, 13 g fiber, and 2 g salt.  Fat grams are 9 and only 3 are saturated.  This is a very good dish for diabetics.