WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

SHRIMP STUFFED LASAGNA NOODLES

As diabetics it is important we use whole-grain pastas! They are so good others won't even notice if you use them.

6 whole-wheat lasagna noodles
1 garlic clove, minced
1 pkg (9-oz) frozen French-style green beans, thawed
1/2 cup shredded carrot
2 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp cornstarch
1 pkg (6-oz) frozen shrimp, thawed

Cook the lasagna noodles according to the package directions; drain and keep warm.

Spray a wok or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat on high until medium hot. Add the garlic to the skillet and stir-fry for a few seconds. Add the green beans, carrot, and green onion and stir-fry for about 30 secconds. Add the mushrooms and stir-fry 1 minutes or until all the veggies are crisp tender.

In a small bowl combine the Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, and cornstarch; stir until dissolved. Add the mixture to the skillet and continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thickened and bubbly. Add the shrimp and stir-fry for another minute or until the shrimp are pink.

To assemble, place the lasagna noodles on serving plate and spoon 1/6 of the shrimp mixture evenly down the center of each noodle. Fold the long ends of the noodles over the stuffing. Ready to serve although you can top with some sugar-free marinara sauce if you so desire.