WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

CRANBERRY RELISH SALAD

Cranberries are very healthy and should be included in our diets year round.  Don't think of them as a 'holiday' food!

1 pkg (4-serving size) sugar-free cherry gelatin
1 pkg (4-serving size) sugar-free raspberry gelatin
1/4 cup Splenda Granulated
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 can (12-oz) diet lemon-lime soda (I use 7up)
1 can (8-oz) crushed pineapple in its own juice, do not drain
2 pkgs (10-oz each) frozen cranberry-orange sauce

In a large bowl dissolve the gelatins and Splenda in the boiling water.  Add the soda, pineapple with juice, and the cranberry-orange sauce.  Chill until the mixture is partially set.  Pour into individual serving dishes or an 11 x 7 x 2-inch dish and refrigerate overnight or until firm.  To add a decorative touch, garnish with fresh mint leaves, kale, or thin strips of orange rind.

Yield: 12 - servings

This goes great with chicken, turkey, pork, etc.