WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

VEGETABLE QUESADILLAS

1 tbsp canola oil
1 cup sliced onions
1 cup thin sliced green bell pepper
1 cup thin sliced red bell pepper
1 can (15-oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp ground red pepper
8 whole-wheat tortillas (8-inch size)
1 cup shredded Mexican-style cheese
1/2 cup your favorite salsa
1/4 cup fat-free sour cream

Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and cook until transparent.  Add the red and green bell peppers, beans, cumin, and red pepper; cook, stirring until the peppers are tender.  Remove skillet from the heat.

In another nonstick skillet over medium heat, place one tortilla.  Add approximately 1/3 cup of the veggie mixture to half of the tortilla.  Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the cheese over the veggies, fold over and cook until browned on one side.  Turn tortilla and brown second side.  Repeat with the other 7 tortillas.  Serve quesadillas with the salsa and sour cream.