WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, December 23, 2011

SIRLOIN STEAK SALAD

1 1/2 lb sirloin steak approximately 1 1/2-inch thick
1 jar or can (4.5-oz) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 medium green bell pepper sliced into rings
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup canola or olive oil
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp tarragon
2 garlic cloves, crushed
lettuce
tomatoes

Preheat broiler.  Broil steak 3 to 4-inches from the heating element for approximately 13 minutes per side for medium done.  Adjust cooking time for rare or well done.  Allow to set aside for about 5 minutes.

Cut the meat into 3/8-inch strips.  Arrange the meat in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.  Place the mushrooms atop the meat; top with the bell pepper rings. 

Combine the vinegar, oil, salt, onion salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, tarragon, and garlic; pour over the meat and veggies in the baking dish.  Cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.  Spoon the marinade over the meat and veggies a few times.

With a large slotted spoon, remove the vegetables to the lettuce leaves or cups that have been arranged on salad plates.  Arrange the meat atop of beside the lettuce/vegetables.  Add the tomatoes either sliced or cut into wedges, as a garnish.

Yield: 4 servings