WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, December 26, 2011

GREEK PASTA SALAD

1 pkg ( 5 to 6-oz) fresh baby spinach
1 can (15-oz) Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
4-oz crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup dried tomatoes, cut-up
2 green onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp lemon peel that is finely shredded
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
12-oz pkg farfalle pasta
Shaved Parmesan cheese

Combine the spinach, beans, cheese, tomatoes, onions, garlic, lemon peel, lemon juice, oil, oregano, thyme, salt and pepper in a large bowl; mix together well.  Cover and let stand at room temperature while cooking the pasta (or up to 2 hours if you want to make it ahead) and stir occasionally.

Cook the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain the pasta and reserve 1/4 cup of the water.  Toss the cooked pasta with the spinach mixture.  Serve while warm or at room temperature.  Top with the Parmesan cheese.

Yield: 6 servings