WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, December 30, 2011

CHICKEN AND NUT PATE'

1 cup pecan halves
1 cup walnuts
2 cloves garlic
1 lb skinless boneless chicken breasts,cooked and coarsely chopped
1 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
2 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp white wine vinegar
1/2 cup minced green onions

Process both nuts together in a food processor or blender until coarsely ground; remove nuts and set them aside.

Place the garlic cloves into the processor or blender and pulse about 4 times until minced.  Add the chicken and process until smooth, keeping sides scraped down.  Add the mayonnaise, ginger, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar; pulse until blended.  Stir in the nuts and the onions.

Place the mixture into a bowl with a lid; cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Serve with assorted whole-grain crackers.

Yield: 3 1/2 cups pate'.