WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, December 3, 2011

APPLE-RICE PUDDING

1 3/4 cups water
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
1 medium (3/4 cup) Golden Delicious apple, chopped (do not peel)
1/2 cup fat-free milk
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp dried cranberries, chopped
cinnamon for garnish, optional

In a heavy 2-quart saucepan with a lid, bring the water to a boil; add the rice and salt.  Cook, covered, over low heat for 40 to 45 minutes until the water is absorbed.  Stir occasionally during cooking.

Stir in the apple, milk, honey, and cranberries.  Cook, uncovered, 10 to 15 minutes until pudding is slightly thickened and creamy; stirring occasionally.

This pudding is delicious served warm or chilled.

Note:  Cinnamon is optional but remember that cinnamon is a blood sugar stabilizer and should be used regularly in your diet.


Yield: 6 servings of 1/3 cup each.
Per serving: 100 calories, 1 g fat, 61 mg sodium, 23 g carbs, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein (note: this is not a good carb to protein ratio and should be part of a meal that has more protein.)
Exchanges: 1 starch, .5 carb, 1.5 carb choices