WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

ZUCCHINI BEEF CASSEROLE

1 lb ground beef
4 cups sliced zucchini
1 cup mayonnaise (not salad dressing)
1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese
1 cup Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
1 onion, chopped
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Cook zucchini in 2 cups boiling water until tender.  Meanwhile, brown the ground beef with the onion until beef is no longer pink.  Stir while cooking to crumble.

Drain the zucchini and combine with the cooked beef and onion.  Stir in the remaining ingredients and transfer to a casserole dish that has been lightly sprayed with nonstick cooking spray.  Dot with butter and sprinkle with bread crumbs.

Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour at 350 degrees until the casserole is browned and bubbly.