WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, November 5, 2011

LAYERED CHOCOLATE DESSERT

Layer 1:
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 340 degrees.

Combine all the ingredients together in a medium bowl and mix together thoroughly.  Pat into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch glass baking pan.  Bake at 350 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes until lightly browned.  Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

Layer 2:
1 brick (8-oz) light cream cheese, softened
1 cup sugar-free powdered sugar*
1 cup sugar-free frozen whipped topping, thawed

Mix all three ingredients together and spread over the top of layer one.  Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
*Directions for making sugar-free powdered sugar is available on this blog.

Layer 3:
2 pkg (4-serving size) sugar-free chocolate instant pudding mix
3 cups fat-free milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Mix all ingredients together in a mixing bowl and beat until thickened.  Pour over layer two.  Refrigerate again to chill through.

Layer 4:
Additional sugar-free whipped topping, thawed
1 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup sugar-free chocolate chips for garnish, if desired

Spread the whipped topping completely over the chocolate layer.  Sprinkle the chopped pecans over the whipped topping.  Garnish by sprinkling the chocolate chips over the top, if desired.

*Directions for making "fake" or sugar-free powdered sugar are available on this blog.