WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, November 21, 2011

FISH TACOS

1 lb skinless tilapia (other other firm white fish)
1 1/4 tsp ground cumin, divided
1 tsp chipotle hot pepper sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
2 tsp canola oil
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
8 corn tortillas, warmed
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
4 limes

Combine the sour cream, cilantro, and 1/4 tsp of the cumin; set aside.

Cut the fish into bite-size (approximately 1-inch) chunks; toss with half of the hot pepper sauce, remaining cumin, and the garlic salt. 

Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat.  Cook the fish, turning gently, 3 to 4 minutes or until the fish is opaque in the center.  Transfer fish to a bowl and set aside.

Add the bell peppes to the skillet and stir-fry until tender, about 6 to 8 minutes.  Add the remaining half of the hot pepper sauce and heat through.  Return the fish to the skillet and toss with the peppers and heat through.

To serve, spoon the mixture into the warmed tortillas and top with the lime juice.  Serve with the cilantro sour cream sauce.