WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

VANILLA BEAN PANCAKE GIFT SET

Combine the following items and put in a special jar or zip-lock type bag:
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Splenda
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

If using a jar, cut a round piece of parchment paper or a round piece of pretty fabric and put over the jar seal before adding ring. Tie a pretty ribbon around the ring. Attach a vanilla bean to the bow. If using a zip bag, place vanilla bean inside the top of the bag before zipping.

Attach the following recipe on a cute recipe card or note card:

To make pancakes, place the dry ingredients from the jar (or bag) into a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center of the ingredients. Split vanilla bean and scrape seeds into a small mixing bowl. Whisk in 2 cups milk, 2 tablespoons canola, olive or coconut oil and 1 large egg, lightly beaten, just until blended.

Lightly grease a griddle and heat. When griddle is hot, pour batter onto griddle using 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake. Cook until tops are bubbly. Turn pancakes and cook until done.

Yield: 12 pancakes

To make your gift even more special, add a small bottle of sugar-free syrup and/or a pancake mold.