WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, September 30, 2011

ORZO - BEAN SALAD

2/3 cup uncooked orzo
3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame
3/4 cup diced carrots
3/4 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
2 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
18 tsp pepper
2 tbsp finely chopped cilantro
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Cook orzo according to the package directions but leave out any salt or butter, etc called for. Approximately 5 minutes before the end of the cooking time, add the edamame and carrots; continue cooking until the orzo is tender. Drain. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the black beans and bell pepper.

In a small bowl whisk the lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together. Pour the dressing over the salad; sprinkle the cilantro and Parmesan cheese over the top. Toss gently. Do not chill before serving.