WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

MEATLESS MONDAYS FOR YOUR HEALTH

A recent study by a nonprofit health initiative backed by the John Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, suggests that Mondays are the best day for starting a diet or reminding yourself of your goals to improve your health. While Sunday is technically the first day of the week, we actually consider Monday as such. After all, Monday is when we get back into our weekly routines. So why not set aside Mondays as a meatless day for yourself and/or your family? Several medical studies show that just eliminating meat from your diet one day a week can improve heart health and reduce your risk for obesity, diabetes, and some cancers. That should be enough to cause us all to decide to go without meat for just one day a week. You still need to include healthy protein in your diet on meatless days by adding nuts, beans, lentils, soy, etc.