WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

CORNBREAD TOPPED SAUSAGE CASSEROLE

1 lb good quality bulk pork sausage
2 cans (15-oz each) Pinto Beans (1 with jalepeno peppers)
1 can (14 1/2-oz) whole tomatoes, drained and broken up
1 pkg (6-oz) cornbread mix (NOT sweet!)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a 2 1/2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.

Brown the sausage in skillet and drain well. Mix the sausage with the beans and the tomatoes; pour into prepared casserole dish.

Prepare the cornbread mix according to the package directions. Drop batter by tablespoons over the meat mixture. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until the cornbread is browned.

Yield: 4 to 6 servings.

Note: The cornbread is okay because it is combined with pinto beans and sausage.