WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, September 9, 2011

CHINESE SKILLET SUPPER

2 tbsp canola oil
2 lb boneless beef, cut into approx. 1-inch cubes
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cups water
1 can (11-oz) mandarin orange segments, well drained
1/3 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1/2 lb mushrooms, sliced
2 cups diagonally sliced celery
1 can (5-oz) sliced water chestnuts, drained

In a large skillet, cook the beef and onion over medium heat until the onion is tender. Drain off any excess fat. Add the water, soy sauce, and ginger; heat to boiling. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours until the meat is tender.

Blend the cornstarch and cold water together until smooth; stir into the meat mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and boils. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the bell pepper, mushrooms, celery, and water chestnuts. Cover and cook over low heat 5 to 7 minutes. Just before serving, fold in the orange segments.

Yield: 6 servings.