WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

SHRIMP SALAD

21 to 25 shrimp peeled and deveined
1/4 cup + 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice,halves reserved
1 tsp minced fresh parsley
5 parsley sprigs
1 tsp minced fresh tarragon leaves
3 sprigs fresh tarragon
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
2 cups cold water
fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp sugar
salt
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 small celery rib, minced
1 tbsp minced shallot

Combine the shrimp, 1/4 cup of the lemon juice, the lemon halves, parsely sprigs, tarragon sprigs, whole peppercorns, sugar 1 teaspoon salt, and water in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and cook the shrimp, stirring several times, until they turn pink and the centers are no longer transluscent - about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, cover, and let shrimp sit in the broth for 2 minutes.

Fill a medium bowl with ice water. Pour the shrimp into a colander and drain, discarding the lemons, herbs, and spices. Immediately transfer the shrimp to the ice water to stop any cooking and pat dry with paper towels.

In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, celery, shallot, remaining tablespoon of the lemon juice, minced parsley, and minced tarragon.

Cut the shrimp in half lengthwise and then each length into thirds. Add shrimp to the mayonnaise mixture and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired.