WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, July 4, 2011

NO SUGAR ADDED APPLE PIE

Sugar-free pastry for a 2-crust pie
4 cups sliced, pared apples
1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice concentrate
1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoon apple pie spice
1/2 tsp cinnamon (add this extra cinnamon as it is a blood sugar reducer)

Mix the cornstarch, apple pie spice, and apple juice concentrate together. Pour over apple slices and toss to coat well. Pour apples into a 9-inch pastry-lined pie plate. Top with another pastry sheet, seal edges and cut vent holes in top crust. Bake in a 425 degrees oven for about 45 minutes until the crust is golden and the apples are tender.

Note: Cover pie edge with a strip of aluminum foil if it starts to get too brown.

Yield: 8 servings
Per serving: Diabetic exchanges are 1 1/2 fruit, 1 bread, and 1/2 fat.