WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, July 30, 2011

LEMON - PEPPER CHICKEN

1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
1 tsp cornstarch
3/4 lb chicken breast tenders, cut into halves or thirds depending on size
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup fat-free chicken broth
1 tsp minced fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp Splenda Granular
1 tsp cornstarch
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 red bell pepper sliced into strips
1/2 green bell pepper sliced into strips

In a small mixing bowl, combine the 1 tablespoon soy sauce and the cornstarch; add the chicken and marinate 10 to 15 minutes.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lemon juice, 1/4 cup soy sauce, chicken broth, ginger, garlic, Splenda, and 1 teaspoon of cornstarch and stir to blend.

In a medium skillet, heat the canola oil. Add the chicken; cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes until just done. Add the sauce to the skillet then the red and green pepper strips. Cook another couple of minutes until the sauce thickens and the pepper are crisp tender.

Yield: 4 servings
Per serving: 150 calories, 5 g (1 g sat), 6 g carbs, 21 g protein, 1 g fiber, 50 mg cholesterol, and 730 mg sodium