WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

GRILLED CHICKEN AND PASTA DISH

1 lb dry corkscrew whole-wheat pasta
3/4 to 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
nonstick cooking spray
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 tub (6 to 7-oz) basil pesto
1/2 jarred roasted red peppers
1/2 jarred roasted yellow peppers, drained, cut into strips
1 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved

Cook the pasta according to the package directions omitting any butter, etc. Drain; reserving about 1 cup of the liquid.

While pasta cooks, heat a stovetop grill pan or large skillet. Coat the chicken with the nonstick cooking spray and sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Grill chicken, turning once, about 5 minutes or until cooked through. Remove from heat and cut into strips.

Add the chicken strips, pesto, peppers, tomatoes, and about 1/2 cup of the reserved liquid to the pasta. Toss together to mix and coat.

Yield: 6 servings
Per serving: Approximately 500 calories, 61 g carbs, 27 g protein, 17 g (4 sat) fat