WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, July 29, 2011

FANTASTIC FLOUNDER

1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 slices whole wheat bread, crumbed
1 tbsp finely minced garlic
1 tsp Italian seasoning
salt and pepper
4 ( 1 to 1/2 lb total) firm flounder fillets
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Using one tablespoon of the olive oil, grease the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish; set aside.

In a skillet over medium-high heat, saute the bread crumbs in the olive oil, stirring often to keep from burning and to brown evenly. When crumbs are just starting to brown, add the minced garlic and the Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring, until golden brown. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.

Using paper towels, pat the fish fillets dry. Place fillets in the prepared pan, skin side down. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Stir the tomatoes into the bread crumbs and cover the top of the fillets with the mixture. Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over the four fillets.

Bake the fish at 375 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until it flakes easily. Before serving, sprinkle the fillets with the fresh chopped basil.