WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

BLUEBERRY FRUIT SPREAD

1 tsp unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup water
2 cups fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp Splenda granular
1 tsp lemon juice

Combine the gelatin with the 1/4 cup water; stir well and set aside.

Combine the blueberries, 1/2 cup water, sugar, Splenda, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 8 minutes; stir frequently. Remove saucepan from heat and add gelatin, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.

Cool mixture to room temperature. Pour into glass jars and cover tightly. Refrigerate 4 to 6 hours until chilled completely. Store in refrigerator up to 1 month.

Yield: 2 half pints

Note: I use all Splenda, no sugar. It is up to you and how you react to sugar.

Note: File photo - not actual recipe