WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

APPLESAUCE LOAF CAKE

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 1/2 cups Splenda Blend
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups unsweetened applesauce
1 cup canola oil
4 eggs
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped dates

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl.

In a large mixing bowl, cream the Splenda and eggs together. Add the applesauce and oil. Gradually beat in the flour mixture until well blended. Stir in the raisins, walnuts, and dates.

Divide batter evenly among two ungreased 9 x 6 x 4-inch loaf baking pans. Bake at 450 degrees for 45 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.