WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

TASTY HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY PANCAKES

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
3 tablespoons Splenda granular
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs, separated
1 cup fresh blueberries, washed & stemmed
Fresh lemon wedges, optional

In a large bowl, mix together the flours, Splenda granular, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In another bowl, whisk the buttermilk, melted butter, and egg yolks together well. Pour this mixture into the flour mixture and stir only until combined.

In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the pancake batter. Gently fold in the blueberries.

Heat a large nonstick griddle and grease with butter when hot. Place pancake batter on griddle using 1/3 cup of batter per pancake. Cook until tops are bubbly and edgess are starting to look dry, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Turn pancakes and cook another 2 or 3 minutes until other side is lightly browned.

If you do not want to use syrup, squeeze lemon wedge over pancake. If you use syrup, use sugar-free syrups.  Personal note: I always use peanut butter on my pancakes, it's delicious.