WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

GROUND BEEF SPAGHETTI CASSEROLE

Diabetics, be sure to use whole-wheat spaghetti when making this recipe. Add some fresh steamed broccoli to round out this meal. As tempting as it is to add bread, I try to leave it off. If you do add bread, be sure it is whole grain. And remember, portion control! Have a serving, not half a casserole!!

12 oz whole-wheat spaghetti, cooked according to package directions, drained
1 small can black olives, drained and chopped
1 small jar of sliced mushrooms, drained and chopped
1 (28 oz) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
2 lbs lean ground beef
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 can fat-free cream of mushroom soup
1/4 cup water

Saute onion in butter. Remove from pan and cook ground beef until browned. Drain and rinse with hot water. Return to skillet and add onion, olives, mushrooms, tomatoes and spices. Spray a large casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer into casserole as follows: 1/2 the spaghetti, 1/2 the meat mixture, 1 cup mozzarella; repeat with the remaining halves. Mix soup and water together until smooth; pour over casserole. Sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese if desired. Bake at 350 degrees about 1/2 hour until heated through and cheese melts.