WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, June 9, 2011

BREAKFAST SMOOTHIE

1 cup fat-free milk*
3/4 cup fat-free plain yogurt
2 tbsp walnuts
2 tbsp flaxseed meal
1/2 cup blueberries
Splenda granular or Stevia, to taste

Pour milk into blender container; add the yogurt, walnuts, flaxseed meal, and blueberries. Sprinkle Splenda over the top. Blend mixture for 15 seconds to blend.

*May substitute 1 cup low-fat calcium enriched soy milk.

Yield: 1 serving
384 calories, 22 g protein, 45 g carbs 6 g fiber, 16 g (1 sat)fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium

Note: File photo