WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

BLUEBERRY BRAN MUFFINS

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 1/2 cups bran flakes cereal
1 large egg
1/4 cup less 1 tbsp Splenda granular
1 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries

In a medium bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the cereal and milk. Let mixture stand about 3 minutes or until the cereal softens. Add the egg and vegetable oil; mix together well. Add the flour mixture, stirring only until combined. Gently stir in the blueberries. Divide the batter evenly into 12 muffin cups that have been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until golden brown.