WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

TANGY AND SPICY BEEF SOUP

3/4 to 1 lb beef round tip steak
1 can (approx. 14-oz) vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup julienned carrots
3 tbsp lite soy sauce, divided
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper or red pepper flakes
1 oz uncooked whole-wheat angel hair pasta, (about 1/4 cup broken up)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup sliced green onions

Cut the steak lengthwise in half then cut crosswise into 1/4-inch strips.

In a 3-quart saucepan, combine the broth, 1 1/2 cups water, mushrooms, carrots, 2 tablespoons of the soy sauce, the vinegar and red pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet in 1 tablespoon olive oil, if needed, stir-fry the steak pieces to brown lightly.

Add the angel hair pasta to the broth mixture and simmer for another 5 minutes. Mix the cornstarch and the 1/4 cup water until smooth; stir into the broth. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the beef to the soup and remove from the heat. Cover the saucepan and let stand for 5 to 6 minutes. Stir in the remaining soy sauce and the green onions. Serve immediately while still hot.

Yield: 4 servings