WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 13, 2011

TACO EGG SCRAMBLE

Doctors and nutritionists tell us breakfast is the most important meal of the day. And we diabetics must never skip breakfast! Looking for something different? Give this recipe a try.

6 large eggs, beaten
1/3 cup milk
1/3 cup chopped canned green chili peppers
1 tsp minced dried onion
couple splashes bottled hot sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
2 tbsp butter
3/4 cup shredded Mexi-Blend cheese
shredded lettuce
1 tomato, cut into wedges

In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, milk, chili peppers, onion, hot sauce, and salt; allow to stand for 1 minute. In a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter. Add the egg mixture to the skillet. Cook without stirring until the mixture begins to set. Lift and fold the partially cooked eggs with a spatula so the uncooked portion flows underneath. Stir in half the cheese. Cook 5 to 6 minutes more or until eggs are completely cooked. Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce topped with the remaining cheese and tomato wedges.

Yield: 4 servings