WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 13, 2011

SWISS SCALLOPED POTATOES

Yes, we diabetics enjoy a good potato from time to time. This recipe allows us to enjoy a serving of this starchy food when served with a lean protein such as chicken, steak, fish, etc. Add a green vegetable or salad for a complete meal.

2 tbsps butter
3 tbsps white whole wheat flour
2 1/2 cups fat-free milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
2 lbs baking potatoes, peeled, thinly sliced
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese, divided
3 tbsp thinly sliced chives, divided

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.

In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Stir the flour into the melted butter and cook over medium to low heat for a minute or two. Stir the mixture constantly while cooking.

Using a wire whisk, gradually whisk the milk into the butter mixture and bring to a boil. Cook, whisking constantly, for a minute or two until thickened. Stir in the Parmesan cheese and pepper.

Layer a third of the potatoes in the bottom of the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with a dash of the salt, a dash of the nutmeg, a third of the Swiss cheese, and a third of the chives. Spoon a third of the milk sauce over the potatoes. Repeat the process two more times, ending with the sauce.

Place in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender when stuck with a fork.

Yield 8 servings.