WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

SPINACH AND MUSHROOM SALAD

4 cups fresh baby spinach greens
1 carton (1/2-lb) fresh white mushrooms, sliced
1/4 -1/3 (depending on taste)thin red onion slices
1/4 cup fat-free balsamic vinaigrette dressing
2 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese

Combine all ingredients, except Parmesan cheese, in a large salad bowl and toss together well. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top.

Per 2 cup serving: Approximately 49 calories, 2 g (1 sat)fat, 6 g carbs, 4 g protein, 1 g fiber, 229 mg sodium.
Diabetic exchanges: Carb choices .5, Fat .5, Vegetable 1.5