WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, May 19, 2011

SPICY CHICKEN STIR-FRY

This Spicy Chicken Stir-Fry recipe makes a dish that is tasty, healthy, easy and quick.

1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp Splenda granular
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (or less to suit your taste)
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 tbsp water
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 tsps extra virgin olive oil (or canola oil)
1 medium red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground ginger
2 green onions, sliced; include tops
2 tbsp dry roasted peanuts
Hot cooked brown rice for serving

In a small mixing bowl combine the cornstarch, Splenda granular, chicken broth, soy sauce, vinegar, and cayenne pepper together until smooth; set aside.

Place the broccoli and water in a microwave-safe bowl, cover and cook in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes on high. Drain and set aside.

In a nonstick skillet that is coated with cooking spray heat the olive oil until hot; add chicken and stir-fry for about 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and drained broccoli; stir fry 3 to 4 minutes until the veggies are crisp tender. Stir the broth mixture and pour into the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil; cook, stirring, for a couple of minutes until thickened. Sprinkle with the green onions and peanuts. Serve over the rice.