WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, May 16, 2011

MY LATE GRANDMOTHER'S APPLESAUCE CAKE

Back in the 1960s when my grandmother was diagnosed as a diabetic this was one of her favorite cakes. I was a teenager hooked on sugar who thought this cake was awful and I couldn't imagine why my granny thought it was good. It is a Sugarless Applesauce Cake that in my opinion should be called a Sugar-Free Applesauce cake with added Raisins. I didn't like the artificial sweetener and I hated raisins. Yuck! Now I am a diabetic grandmother who still doesn't like raisins but I have learned to like desserts made without sugar. Funny how things change, isn't it? But I still don't like liquid sweeteners. I know some of you do, so here is a recipe for you. I prefer Equal for recipes or Splenda baking blend. If you are like me and don't use liquid sweeteners--not that popular anymore--you can make adjustments with the sweetener you use as you can visit their websites to get relevant use comparisons.

2 cups raisins
2 cups water
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
3/4 cups oil
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp liquid sweetener

Cook raisins in water until tender; drain well. In a large mixing bowl combine applesauce, oil, eggs, sweetener, and raisins. Mix until well combined. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; mix to blend together well. Bake in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. If using a glass pan, bake only 35 minutes.

Enjoy!