WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 13, 2011

CORN AND TOMATO CASSEROLE

1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 tsp butter, melted
1 tbsp flour
2/3 cup low-fat milk
1/2 tsp salt
couple dashes of black pepper
1/8 tsp dried basil
1/8 tsp dried oregano
1 can (appox. 16-oz ) whole tomatoes, drained
1 pkg (10-oz) frozen peas and pearl onions, slightly thawed
1 can (12-oz) whole kernel corn, drained

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large saucepan, saute the bell pepper and garlic in the butter until pepper is tender. Add the flour, stirring until smooth. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the milk; add salt, pepper, basil and oregano. Cook the mixture over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Stir in the tomatoes, peas and onions, and the corn. Remove from the heat.

Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spoon the heated mixture into the dish and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.