WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Friday, May 13, 2011

APPLESAUCE-RAISIN BARS

1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
1 egg
1/2 cup garbanzo bean flour
1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp apple pie spice
1/2 cup raisins, soaked in 1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, cream the butter; add the Splenda brown sugar blend and the egg. Beat the mixture well. Sift together the flours, baking powder and apple pie spice. Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture, beating well. Stir in the raisins and the applesauce.

Spread the mixture in the prepared baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Allow to cool then cut into 24 bars.
Note: File Photo