WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Monday, April 18, 2011

THREE BEAN-RICE CASSEROLE

This is a great recipe for diabetics because of the beans. Diabetics should eat beans in some form everyday. And the beans called for in this recipe are some of the ones best for diabetics.

2 tbsp canola or extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 cups brown rice, not cooked
1 can (15-oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15-oz) dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15-oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (16-oz) diced Mexican-style tomatoes, drained
1 can (4-oz) chopped green chilies, drained
3 1/2 cups water
1 pkg (10-oz) frozen peas, thawed

Heat the oil in a Dutch oven and saute the onion over medium heat until tender. Add the rice and cook until opaque while stirring frequently. Add all the beans, tomatoes, green chilies, and water. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat. Bake at 375 degrees for approximately 45 minutes until the rice is tender and almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Add the peas, return to the oven and bake until heat through.

Serves 8 to 10 persons.