WELCOME TO DIABETIC ENJOYING FOOD

I have chosen this name for this blog because it truly states my story. I am a type II diabetic who most certainly enjoys food. When I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago, my blood sugar level was over 400. With some oral medications, a lot of research and some trial and error, I have found that unlike my ancestors I truly can continue to enjoy food. I hope this blog will help you to also enjoy food and be healthy. Some recipes are my originals and some I have collected.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

DOWNHOME OATMEAL WITH FRESH BLUEBERRIES

1 cup water
1/2 cup old-fashion oats
dash of salt, optional
2 tsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
2 tablespoons fresh blueberries*
1 tbsp fat-free cream

In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil; stir in oats and the salt, if using (best for you to omit salt if you can). Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.

Sprinkle the Splenda Brown Sugar Blend and the blueberries over the hot oatmeal. Drizzle with the cream.

*May substitute frozen blueberries that have been thawed.

 

Yield: 1 serving

With salt: 220 calories, 41 g carbs, 5 g fiber, 7 g protein, 3 g (0sat)fat, 10 g sugar, 5 g cholesterol, 410 mg sodium

Note: Best to enjoy this healthy breakfast treat with a strip or two of turkey bacon for additional protein.